Monday, June 18, 2007

Race For The Cure


WE went to the race for the cure this weekend and I was blown away! I say we cause what started out to be just Ken and myself turned into our club, The Road Rodz being there too and it touched my heart. This was the first year the Race organizers had a car show and we just happened upon it when I was getting my rads. Ken thought it would be good to support since I couldn't walk this year. My chemo was the Tuesday before the walk and I just couldn't do much.
Saturday came and we where going to meet in the parking lot of I-Hop but we got there first. I can't tell you how great it was to see our Gang roll off that highway! It was very impressive. The place was the West Ottawa High School Track and Field and the grass was to die for. They really keep the school grounds very clean and nice. For the first year of doing a car show, they did nicely. Each car had a can and you could vote for your favorite by making a donation in the cars can. They told us they got more cars then ever expected and just the cars alone raised over $500.oo toward the cure.
Two things brought tears to my eyes that day..the paper bags lined the track with names and faces of loved ones that had passed with cancer or that are fighting it and the fact that a bunch of rag tag gear heads showed their support to me. Not many have and I understand the reason why..time and the lack of it BUT these guys will always wow me...

1 comment:

Jacqniel said...

So beautiful! What a great idea and so impressive that they were able to make so much. Glad you were able to participate! Jacque