Thursday, August 16, 2007

Hair Today Gone Tomorrow


Well it's been two weeks since I've returned to work and it sucks..LOL. Ok, I missed it but not that much. The new company that took over cut my pay and raised our health care payment. The lunch room has become a warehouse and they ripped up the gym and it's used for storage. There is so much crammed into this plant that they are now using the parking lot for rack storage. I can't believe it has turned into such a place but it does pay me and I have health insurance.

With Amber's wedding this Saturday I thought I'd go to this shop in Zeeland that carries wigs and stuff for breast cancer ladies. It was a lovely shop full of hair. I didn't want a wig, I just wanted maybe a scarf to wear with my dress. Amber told me I didn't need hair, that she loves me just the way I am.

The lady sitting there started asking me questions and I told her I just wanted a scarf. The prices on the wigs ranged from 150 to over 300. I told her that for a one day thing I just didn't want one. I never wanted one from the start and I didn't feel I needed one for the wedding...I just want a scarf. Well, they didn't have a scarf and the lady said things to make me feel bad about how I looked so I'd buy hair from her.

Just think of how you'll look in pictures or your daughter would feel better if you looked better with hair. I couldn't believe what was coming out of the mouth of this person who should be supporting breast cancer patients. Personally I feel pretty damn good about how I look, I just wanted a little something nice to wear..not a 200 dollar wig that I would not feel like myself in.

I left that store feeling badly about myself till I got about half way home and realized that she just prayed upon my self esteem trying to make a sale. I should have gone back and given her a piece of my chemo brain but I figured I better not. I am proud to be bald..I will not let this poor women get the best of me. I will hold my head high at my daughter's wedding and be proud of her. I know my daughter is proud of me and is happy to have me around, hair or no hair.

Cancer sucks but the people who deal with cancer patients shouldn't. That's my two cents on that and I'll get off my soap box now and enjoy my daughter's wedding..

1 comment:

Jacqniel said...

Great attitude! That gal should be reprimanded. I think a letter might be in order - especially if she wasn't the owner!
I know you will look beautiful with or without a scarf. I have often thought that a head band - like they use on little baby girls - might be a cute option, too. Be sure to post pics of the wedding!