Monday, March 12, 2007

Starting It All

In January of 2007 I found a lump in my breast. We went to the Doc days later and that snowballed into the journey I am on now. After a mammogram, ultra sound and two biopsy, they told me I had breast cancer and that the tumor would need to be removed.

I can't start to even put into words what went through my head. So many emotions it felt like my head was going to explode. The internet was my best and worst friend. I spent countless hours researching and analyzing everything I could to the point of pointless. I knew everything and I knew nothing. And so in February, the date set, I was having surgery to remove this tumor and be on the road to recovery..or at least that's what I told myself!

Surgery went great and the day after I was resting at home I received the news about the place I work being SOLD! I have breast cancer and the place I have worked for, over 20 yrs, is now being sold and there's going to be a benefit and wages CUT! What the hell??? What else?? I've stopped smoking..hahahahaha This is a bad time for that! I put a blanket over my head and stayed like that until my appointment with my surgeon later that week.

I was looking forward to knowing how everything was going with me so going to the surgeon was nothing to be nervous about. My nerves have been on edge and I've been scared of everything but today they planed to remove the tube in my breast so I was in a good mood.
The mood changed as he was removing the tube and telling us about the stage 3 cancer that I have.

Cancer comes in stages 1 being the best and 4 being the worst and with me having 14 out 0f 30 lympnodes with cancer in them, it put me into a 3 stage. That stage meant chemo and the road I was on just took a detour. I don't mind a detour when your driving, you get to see parts of the country you would have passed but this really wasn't in MY game plan. Back to the couch with the blanket over my head! We made an appointment with the Chemo Doc and Radiation Doc and I made plans to get my butt back to work. I figured that if I could return to work that maybe my life would return and I would wake up from this nightmare.

No comments: