Monday, March 19, 2007

Where do I Port At?

I'm starting my chemo on Tuesday the 20th so they had to put this thing in my body called a port. It's the size of a quarter and hooks up to a vein that goes right into my heart. This is the safest way to do the chemo. I can tell ya I wasn't too thrilled about this but again, I'm going to kick the crap out of this stuff so I need to do it right.

Ken drove me to the hospital and we got checked in and taken to the waiting room. They hooked me up to a heart thing and then the needles came. We all knew this was going to involved needles but I could dream..right? The nurse said I needed to be tested to see if I was pregnant. Pregnant??? You have got to be kidding me. Pregnant. I did hear her Right. Because my special time of the month doesn't come when it should anymore, there could be a chance I was pregnant. I started laughing and informed her at after all the operations, x-rays and test, that if I was, it would have five arms and a tail. She didn't laugh but Ken thought it was funny. I can't believe that the nurse drove herself to the hospital that day and didn't ride the short bus there.

The port went in fine and I had to wait to do my heart test after. Everything went turned out ok and we went home. Holly crap but this surgery hurt. It felt like they broke my collar bone. I couldn't move and when I did, it felt like I was going to pass out from the pain. This port hurt worse then anything I've had done so far. All I can do is lay around and pop pain pills and nap but I am sure it will feel better soon.

Well, the port is feeling better but it took a few days but I still don't know how it's going to feel when they use it. Guess, I'll just have to wait and see. I'm already for the chemo and just a little scared about getting sick but I know it will be ok.

No comments: